Ten Fun Activities to Do with the Kids During the Winter Months
Weekend loading …the winter months can prove to be a dreary time if you’re the type that prefers spending time out in the sun with the kids. However, with a little creative thinking, you can still make memories and have a fabulous time during the winter months.
Bundle up and enjoy some outdoor fun with the kids in winter, especially if there’s snow. Then head indoors for some hot beverages and indoor activities.
Here are some ideas to get the creative juices flowing:
1. Cook together. Grab a child-friendly cookbook and make something delicious together. Holiday or winter themed cookies are always good. Baking and decorating can prove to be hours of fun during the day, and you’ll have treats to eat after dinner.
2. Have a craft day. Bring out a box of art supplies and try your hand at some winter themed crafts. Make snowflakes or snowmen and decorate the house.
3. Go ice-skating. If skating is available in your area, it can prove to be an engaging winter activity. Sometimes ice skating can be a little tough to learn at first, but once you have the hang of it, it’s lots of fun.
4. Read. While reading should be a year round activity, it can also provide some special winter memories. You might try reading stories to your children that take place in the winter. Enjoy a good story together as a family and allow everyone a turn to read.
5. Snow painting. One way to get creative outside is to try some snow painting. Mix food coloring with water to make some “paint.” You can then let the little ones go wild as they create special works of art.
6. Build an indoor fort. Every child enjoys a good fort building party. Get creative with your blankets and pillows and build a small home within a home for your children. Your kids will enjoy having a special hideout.
7. Enjoy some karaoke. You can buy or rent a karaoke machine for some indoor fun for the entire family. Feel free to get wild and crazy and join in on the fun with them. While it’s not for everyone, many will enjoy the chance to sing along to their favorite songs.
8. Play online. Search for some kid activity websites. You’ll likely come across sites that allow you to download printable templates for winter coloring or festive puzzles. You can also consider some kid friendly online video games.
9. Take a trip to the mall. Remember that you can always go to the mall as a nice treat for the day. While you may not want to be spending money, it never hurts to look around and get some exercise. You might even want to treat the kids at the food court for good behavior.
10. Go to a museum. Museums are great places to visit in the winter. If you’ve never gone before, it’ll be an extra special treat. Inquire at the museum about special activities for those smaller patrons. Many museums have ongoing programs just for the kids.
Remember that the possibilities are endless, even if it is winter! There’s no reason to stay cooped up dreaming of the summer months. You can still keep the kids active and have a great time.